South Asia Resources
= internet resource requiring Stanford IP address | Connecting through Stanford's authenticated proxy
postcolonial & cultural studies: books in the reference collection and
- The year's work in critical and cultural theory e.g., "Colonial Discourse, Postcolonial Theory"
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory & Criticism "Postcolonial Cultural Studies: Origins to the 1980s," "Postcolonial Cultural Studies: 1990 and After," "Indian Theory & Criticism"
- Annual Review of Anthropology "History and Anthropology in South Asia"
- Schwarz, Henry and Sangeeta Ray (eds). A Companion to Postcolonial Studies. Blackwell Publishing, 2004.
- Wikipedia "Subaltern Studies" etc.
search Bibliography of Asian Studies for books and articles | Academic Search Premier for recent articles | Historical Abstracts | SearchWorks (books in Stanford libraries) | Google Scholar
background: Encyclopedia of India | AsiaSource | Library of Congress Country Studies | U.S. State Dept. Background Notes, etc. | C.I.A. World Factbook | Economist: EIU Country Data | country profiles via ELDIS | Historical Atlas of South Asia | South Asia Europa | Territories and States of India 2nd ed. 2010 (on order) | Districts of India: gateway
statistics & GIS: IndiaStat (select IP login) | India infrastructure report (annual) | India Development Report (annual) | Statistics Abstract, India | C.I.A. World Factbook | Sources of comparative International Statistics | Statistical Universe | World Bank Data & Statistics | IndiaMap | India State Basemap GIS data | South Asia. London: Europa Publications, Annual
IPUMS (Integrated Public-use Microdata Samples), long known for its archiving of US census microdata, has recently begun a program to do the same for international microdata. unfortunately, India has not yet agreed to participate. However, the Indian Census does sell 2001 microdata samples. Indiastat, World development indicators, SourceOECD, and United Nations common database provide country-level estimates on different statistics. Indiastat provides sub-regional estimates. See census products of Maps of India
read Times of India online (1836-2001) | Times of India (current 3 months paper edition retained) and India today international in Current Periodicals | Economic and Political Weekly (Bombay) | news coverage and wire services: Lexis/Nexis (Fulltext newspapers, including current NYT, and journals) | Access World News: India (The Hindu, Times of India) | World News Connection , a foreign news service from the US Government | The Hindu | Dawn, the Internet edition (Pakistan) | The Daily Mail (Islamabad) and other news from Pakistan
UCB Library licenses South Asian Newspapers, 1864-1922
Fulltext in Lexis/Nexis
- Business Today
- Hindustan Times
- India Today
- The Statesman
biography World biographical information system It's subsection Indian Biographical Archive indexes a number of biographical sources, some of which we own. The database can be searched by occupation.
bollywood DVDs: search Socrates Combined Search mode for "Everything" Hindi and Green Location "Media-Microtext;" N.B. Search does not work in SearchWorks. About 160 records should be retrieved. Bollywood in Wikipedia; Film Studies (Quckstart guide); SUL Film & Media Studies; Bioscope: South Asian Screen Studies ; Encyclopaedia of Bollywood (2009)
- Subject (LC): Motion pictures--India
- Subject (LC): Motion picture industry--India
Tibetan etexts from Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center
other internet links:
- Digital South Asia Library
- http://districtsofindia.com requires personal account; not licensed by SULAIR
- Districts of India: gateway . . . http://districts.nic.in/
- Maps of India
- Columbia University Library. sarai South Asia Resource Access on the Internet
- Center for research Libraries. Digital South Asia Library
- Joseph Regenstein Library Southern Asia Collections
- UC Berkeley Library. South Asia Resources
- Stanford's Center for South Asia : people, courses
About the collection
The SUL collection, excepting Buddhist Studies, is comprised primarily of English language books supporting study and teaching: SUL Collection Development Policy for South Asia. Send purchase requests to John Rawlings, Green Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, 3-3101. The UC Berkeley South/Southeast Asia Library houses an important research collection; Adnan Malik (email@example.com) is the librarian for the UCB South Asia Collection. Faculty and graduate students should register with the Research Library Cooperative Program (RLCP) to borrow Berkeley Library material through the RLCP's document delivery service. Additionally, the University of California / Stanford University Reciprocal Services Program (RSP) provides eligible Stanford users with the same on-site access and borrowing privileges as are accorded their counterparts at each of the U.C. campus general libraries.
Stanford's Center for South Asia including people & courses
- 10.27.09 Univ. plans to upgrade Asian area studies.
Richard Saller, Dean of Humanities and Sciences: "We are now looking at
adding about five to seven…appointments in South Asian [program] that
would span social sciences and humanities. It might not be literature,
it might be film, for example. And we have to think about what we can
do based on the library and research resources that we have." Faculty
Senate minutes for February 21st.
- 5.02.07 President Hennessey stresses importance of building bridges to India.
- 5.02.07 South Asia classes focus on themes ancient, modern.
- 10.10 "South Asian Scholars at Stanford." Anthropology Department Newsletter 3 (2010):3 https://www.stanford.edu/dept/anthropology/cgi-bin/web/?q=node/177
- 10.10 Thomas Hansen, Reliance-Dhirubhai Ambani Professor in South Asian Studies and Professor in Anthropology, appointed Director of Stanford’s Center for South Asian Studies. Anthropology Department Newsletter 3 (2010): 2- https://www.stanford.edu/dept/anthropology/cgi-bin/web/?q=node/177