Database Guide: Global Financial Data: Graph Tools and AutoTrac
GFD graph tool offers flexibility and multiple customizing options.
Some notable features include:
- Adding to graph up to 20 different technical indicators
- Running graphs/charts on multiple series and ability to add series for comparison
- Choice of graphs and charts types
Build graphs or charts by using either of the options described below:
Build graph from new quick search:
- Click Graph and Chart Results tab.
- Enter search term in search box.
- Select a series from results and click icon.
Build graphs/charts from search results:
- Go to Search Results or Recent Results List window.
- For individual series, click the graph icon on right. For multiple series, select series and then click the applicable graph icon below results.
- That will open the graph under Graph and Chart Results tab.
- Click the button at top left to select graph settings such as:
- Dates, Chart type, data fields etc.
- Choose categories below the settings window: Comparison, Technical Indicators, Chronological to add additional parameters to graph from the dropdown lists in each category. Click the Graph Data in the lower right corner when done.
- Where available, click the chart or graph icons to select a specific type, e.g. pie, bar etc. NOTE: Pie and Bar charts are available for comparison only for any given point in time. If no date defined, the results will show data on today's date.
- Price/volume graphs are fully interactive. Place cursor anywhere on a graph to see the price/volume data and the corresponding date.
- Ability to zoom in any section on a graph. Click and drag anywhere on graph to highlight the section of interest. Release the mouse and view details.
- Ability to block time periods from graph if no date range is set initially. Drag the white circle handles along X-Axes.
Click the Export at top of graph on right and select file format: JPG, PNG, SVG, or PDF.
AutoTrac Downloading Tool
AutoTrac function lets users download multiple series into one Excel file called Workbook. This function is available only with individual accounts. All Stanford users may create individual accounts and save any number of workbooks accessible at any time. (See Logging In section on Overview page of this guide).
NOTE: The GFD download limit is 1,000 series per day.
Creating AutoTrac Workbook
By creating a Workbook you can add, download, and save data for any number of series from different categories in one Excel file.
To create and add contents to a workbook, follow these steps:
- Login to the database with your individual account.
- Click AutoTrac tab at top.
- In left panel, click the icon. That will add New Workbook folder to the Stanford University directory. Select the workbook and click the icon to rename the workbook.
Add series to workbook from search results:
- On Home page, go to Search Results or Recent Results List window.
- Select series and click the icon.
- In the pop-up window, select the workbook.
- Click Save.
Add series to workbook from quick search:
- On AutoTrac page, select a workbook in left panel or create a new workbook.
- In search box start typing the symbol of the series. Select series from the auto-fill list. Click icon. Repeat this step for more series.
Delete a saved workbook:
- Select a workbook in Stanford University directory in left panel.
- Click the icon.