Database Guide: Datastream
How to Access
Content Coverage & Description
Datastream is a global financial database which contains current and historical data on stocks, indices, bonds, funds, futures, options, interest rates, commodities, and economic indicators.
Corporate Governance Data
Corporate governance data for firms can be found in the ESG--Asset4 database.
To access, in Datatypes navigator, enter ESG-Asset 4 and select data items of interest. Corporate governance data can be retrieved both in Static and Time Series requests.
- From top menu bar, select Help menu item.
- Click Online Manual or Contents.
How to Search: Time Series
To retrieve time series data, follow these steps:
Step 1: In Data Category window, select category from the list.
Step 2: In Analysis window, for historical time series choose the following:
- For single series, e.g. one company or one index etc., Single Series – Data > Time Series Data
- For multiple series, e.g. several companies or several indexes etc., Multiple Series/Flexible Chart > Time Series Data
Step 3: In Navigator window, add search criteria by using Navigators:
- Use Find Series Navigator to find specific entities, e.g. a security. Once you select a series, it appears in Name field in Navigator window.
- Use Datatypes Navigator to find specific data elements that apply to your entities, e.g. prices, volume, etc..
NOTE: If you make no datatype selection, or check the No Datatype box, the default datatype is applied to time series requests. Often it is the closing price.
For more information on Navigators, see How to Use Navigators section on this page.
Step 4: In Time Period window, choose fixed date ranges or create custom range. Choose currency, if applicable.
Step 5: In Settings window, choose reporting frequency.
Step 6: Click Run Now button and view results in the Output window.
- Click Excel icon on top icon bar or
- Save or download results in Excel, Word, or PowerPoint by selecting Tools > Transfer option from the top menu bar
Each Datastream series is assigned a unique code, DS mnemonic or DS code depending on a financial category.
DS Mnemonic for equities, is usually made of an equity ticker preceded by a suffix determining the Exchange, e.g. U:F, @FB.
DS code for equities is a six-digit number.
Dead equity series retain only DS code.
How to Search: Static Data
To retrieve static data, follow these steps:
- Select from Data Category, e.g. Equities.
- In Analysis window, select Single Series - Data > Static Data.
- Click Settings button in top right corner. This will open a new dialog box.
- Click Datatype Navigator icon. Select data items. You can select up to nine static data items, adding them one at a time.
- Click OK.
- Click Run Now.
How to Use Navigators
Find Series Navigator gives access to all series within the selected financial category, e.g. Equities, Commodities etc.
- For quick access, hover mouse over selected data category and click Criteria Search link
or click Find Series button in Navigator window.
- In top search box, enter partial or complete series name. Add additional filters from the left panel if needed.
- To select a series, click on its mnemonic in Symbol column. For multiple series selection, check the series and click Use link in the first column.
- Click the series name in Name column to display a snapshot of series in display pane below the list.
NOTE: In the snapshot, you can view time span coverage of the selected series and all codes assigned to the series, e.g. DS Mnemonic, ISIN, SEDOL, etc.
Datatypes Navigator gives access to all financial data items pertaining to data or chart type of requests, such as price, volume etc.
- To open Navigator, click Datatypes button in Navigator window
- Use top search box to filter list by keyword. Add additional filters from left panel if needed.
Click the series name in Name column to view its description
- To select a series, click on its mnemonic in Symbol column