- Database Specific Instructions
- Newspaper FAQ
- No Persistent Link?
- Find Articles This link opens in a new window
1. Use the side nav for resource specific instructions.
2. See the No Persistent Link? page.
3. Ask Us, we'd be happy to help you troubleshoot.
What is a persistent link?
A persistent link (or durable link, permalink, or stable URL) is a reliable way to link to an electronic resource.
- It will not change or expire.
- If it includes the library's proxy, it will allow users to pass through authentication in order to access content we have access to.
- It will provide the same access experience no matter the users location.
Find a Persistent Link
The link you see in the URL bar is not always persistent. This guide explains how to find persistent links in common databases.
Note: not all resources provide persistent links, but here are some alternatives.
Add the Proxy to a Persistent Link
To ensure the link will work properly with the authentication process, you have to add a proxy prefix to the link. When a user clicks on the proxied link they will be prompted to log in with their SUNet ID, after which the linked full-text article or book will display.
The proxy prefix: https://stanford.idm.oclc.org/login?url=
An example of the proxied persistent link:
More Reasons to Use Persistent and Proxied Links
It ensures users can access the desired article without finding a broken link.
The URL in your browser's address bar may be a temporary address or may disappear after the website is redesigned or the content is removed.
It helps ensure copyright compliance.
Your library has licensed most resources so they can be posted in Canvas or shared with other Stanford users for academic purposes. It saves time and resources from securing copyright clearance for individual articles.
It helps let the library know which resources are being used for teaching and research.
Your librarians regularly monitor and analyze resource usage analytics that help inform licensing and renewal decisions.
- Last Updated: Apr 13, 2023 10:11 AM
- URL: https://libguides.stanford.edu/library/article-links
- Print Page